Preparing for Insurance Claims
Preparing for an insurance claim isn't something most people think of doing. After all, most of us pay our insurance premiums and hope to never have to file a claim. Unfortunately, property damage in Brownsville, South Padre Island, Harlingen, McAllen, Laredo, Rio Grande City, El Paso, Corpus Christie, and other South Texas communities is common thanks to severe weather systems and other calamities.
While we hope you never have to use our services, we do recommend that you prepare for future insurance claims. Use the tips below to make your next south TX insurance claim go smoothly:
- Conduct a home inventory - We offer free home inventory software to make this crucial step as easy as possible. By documenting your personal belongings, should a loss occur, you'll have a room-by-room inventory that you can use in conjunction with your insurance claim.
- Store your home inventory online or in a safe deposit box - A home inventory is only useful if it's available after an event. If a fire burns down your house along with your only copy of the inventory, you'll have to piece together your losses one item at a time - all from memory. Store a copy online and avoid this problem all together.
- Update your home inventory - As you purchase new belongings or dispose of old ones, update your home inventory. If you use software and store your inventory online, updates are a simple matter.
- Review your insurance policy regularly - Make sure you have sufficient insurance coverage. Building costs and inflation can impact your policy, making what was once sufficient coverage woefully inadequate over time.
- Make sure you understand your policy - Do you fully understand the provisions and exclusions contained in your insurance policy? Misunderstandings are common, and they can be costly. If you do not understand a term, provision, limit, or exclusion, call your agent and ask for clarification. We can also review your insurance policy and suggest appropriate coverages if desired.
- Make emergency plans - One way to limit losses is to anticipate them. For example, if flooding is likely, moving valuables upstairs could save you a great deal of heartache if the bottom floor floods. Consider various scenarios and how you might respond. Obviously, keep safety as your top priority.
- Keep our phone number handy - Should you need to file a property damage claim in Brownsville, South Padre Island, Harlingen, McAllen, Laredo, Rio Grande City, El Paso, or Corpus Christie, call our office right away.
Our public adjusting services can make a huge difference in your stress levels and the amount of money you ultimately recover from your insurance company. We are licensed Texas public adjusters serving Brownsville, South Padre Island, Harlingen, McAllen, Laredo, Rio Grande City, El Paso, Corpus Christie, and other South Texas communities. Contact us today to learn more.